Monday, September 11, 2006

Proof Positive

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile...our computer has been on the fritz. It's amazing the withdrawals that one goes through when one can't get their blog fix! So I went in for another blood test on Friday, and my HCG level was 52.9. So it definitely went up, and more than tripled in four days. Definitely proof positive that I'm pregnant, since some experts categorize you in this blurry category of "equivocal" if you're between 5-25. I go in for another test tomorrow, because this is still considered a low HCG level for the stage that I'm at. But from everything I read, it looks like it's more important to have rising levels than to get fixated on the number itself. And in about 2 weeks' time (6 weeks gestation) I should be getting an ultrasound which should be more reliable in showing how the pregnancy is progressing than relying on HCG numbers alone.

So I am allowing myself to be a little more excited than after the initial news, because at least now I have a better indication of pregnancy. I also am experiencing quite a few PG symptoms, the main ones being:

- I'm tired all the time! Even when I'm having a good day, this sudden feeling of "Ok, I need to lay down" will rush over me in a flash.
- Headaches. Started getting them pretty quick after ovulation/IUI, and I haven't shaken them yet. Although they seem to be less frequent the last few days.
- Back pain. It's different than the back pain I'd get before AF - not only does it hit my lower back, but it often creeps up to either my mid or entire back as well! When this comes on it gets really difficult for me to be comfortable at work. Sit...stand...sit...stand...I'm just plain uncomfortable!
- Gag reflex. My gag reflex is really sensitive when I brush my teeth in the morning, especially when I brush my tongue. Ugh...
- Wacky sense of smell. I was gagging on the smell of Krispy Kreme donuts the other day - it didn't even smell like donuts! I love donuts...
- Occasional queasiness. Not enough to vomit yet, knock on wood.
- Emotional wreck. I've always been on the mushy side, and shed tears of empathy during the touching parts in movies. But lately, I've been a bit more...unstable than usual. Let's just say I've been so damn weepy, my husband looks at me (and usually catches me) at any remotely touching moment depicted on the tube, and sighs and laughs simultaneously as he hops up to get me some tissue. And I was really pissed the other day as we had to weave around all the carts in the aisle at Home Depot. How could the cart retriever guy be so clueless? Hello!!! You just walked by two stinkin' carts that are getting in everyone's way!
- Sweaty palms and feet. Yep, still dealing with this lovely symptom too! I'm just glad it's starting to cool down in these parts, because with the cooler weather we experienced over the weekend, my symptoms weren't as bad as they have been.

Also - although my HCG levels are "low", I have a good feeling about this PG. It may be wishful thinking, but I'd like to think it's women's intuition, or whatever you want to dub it. So I'm not sharing my news widely (aren't you all lucky in blog-land??) until I hit my second trimester. In the meantime, I'm savoring up all the information I can about pregnancy, what to do, what not to do, helpful tips, etc.

I'm also taking lots of naps :)

2 comments:

beagle said...

That's wonderful. I think your intuition is a good sign. I will keep everything crossed for you that the numbers keep going up up and up!

Keep us posted!

Dramalish said...

PUPO!!! PUPO!!!!
And it's time to introduce you to another saying... perhaps you've heard it:
NBHHY
or-
Nothing Bad Has Happened Yet

I'm really excited about this! You're like one of those cool urban legends; first DIUI success....
YAY!!!!!!
:)
-D.