Saturday, August 04, 2007

I Guess I'm Nesting

Now that I'm on maternity leave, I have a lot more time for baby stuff (and blogging!) Although my c-section is still a couple of weeks away, I have this overwhelming desire to get everything ready for baby Kiwi NOW. What if she comes early and everything isn't ready? That just would not do. Ah, if you could see the spreadsheets, to-do lists, nursery, closet organizer, and other assorted tools I've been using to get ready, you might think I'm an overly anal mom-to-be. Or not. I just like to think of myself as prepared :)

I had hubby put together the pack and play this morning. This is what we're gonna use as our downstairs bassinet/changing station. It's really cute, and the only thing I have to do is exchange the sheets I bought for them because they really don't match. I stuffed the holder that attaches to it with a bunch of diapers, and don't really know where to put the wipes for now, so they're sitting on top of the changing station. Will have to mull over a better solution for that...

We'll be using a co-sleeper in the bedroom at night, the kind that attaches to the side of your bed with one side down. I've heard rave reviews on these from friends, and am thinking it will be handy for breastfeeding - especially when I'm healing from the c-section. We've assembled it already, and just need to move the night stand on my side of the bed somewhere else and attach the co-sleeper to the bed. I'm also mulling over where to put diapering supplies in the bedroom to make night-time changings convenient. Right now I've got a long, narrow basket inside the co-sleeper with diapers, wipes, and diaper rash ointment, and then I have a changing pad draped over the side of the sleeper itself. I think this will be fine in baby's first weeks, since the sleeper is quite large, but will need to move this stuff out eventually. I guess we'll play that by ear.

Finally, we need to assemble the cradle/swing, stroller (which I think should be a piece of cake), and bouncer. Kiwi will have so many places to sleep and hang out!

I ordered some cute nursing pajamas, a nursing bra that holds a double breast pump in place, and a nice robe online yesterday. The robe I will bring to the hospital, and the other items are for when I get home. I already have a nursing gown that I'll use in the hospital, which I'm thinking will be more comfortable to minimize clothing on the incision site. I need to find/get some granny panties so they will go over the site as well, instead of the low-rise ones I usually wear that would probably hit the site right where it hurts.

I need to go to the store tomorrow to return a duplicate item I got from my baby showers, and to get a few more things that we're still missing: a bottle brush, retractable sun shades for the car, etc. Do you really need to sterilize baby bottles before you use them, or is washing them enough? I have these bottles unpacked in the kitchen but am not sure how to prep them. Maybe I'll just run them through the top rack of the dishwasher? I don't know; I'm just going to have them on-hand in case I need to supplement with formula before my milk comes in or baby is jaundiced, but I do intend on breastfeeding exclusively.

I guess I'll wrap up this post for now, lunch-time beckons. I'm on this stupid meal plan because I got conservatively diagnosed with gestational diabetes, so I have to test my blood sugar 4 times a day and watch my carb intake, etc. No need for meds though, so that's about the only upshot to this whole situation. I can't wait until I have the baby and can eat anything I want! That is just how it should be when you're pregnant, at least some of the time. Ciao for now.

4 comments:

Chastity said...

I have so much to say! Here goes...

-I think it's great that you are so prepared for the baby...spreadsheets, closet organizer, etc...b/c if you choose to have more children you probably won't ever get a chance for spreadsheets again :).

- We used our pack n play as our downstairs bassinet/changing table before we moved to a one level house, and that thing was a lifesaver.

- I didn't have a co-sleeper, but I wish I had. Co-sleeping makes nursing WAY easier. I had no intention of cosleeping before I had Lila, and we ended up doing it for a good while. It is possible to put a stop to it eventually, don't let people scare you telling you they'll be in your bed until they're 10.

- If that nursing bra that holds the double pump in place works, please send that info my way. I used my pump twice a day at work, and even though I probably won't be working and using a pump so much when I have another baby, I'd still like to get one for those occasions when I do pump.

- Even though I breastfed exclusively until Lila was one year old (and after that w/ cow's milk), we still used lots of bottles. You do have to sterilize them before their first use, but after that I just ran them through the dishwasher on the top rack and they were fine. If you use the brown nipples, those can't go in the dishwasher though, but they're easy to wash. I ended up using Playtex Nursers, b/c they were closer to breastfeeding...and we used the drop-ins...so we didn't have to sterilize many bottles. Babies are picky about their bottles...I have SO many we never used.

OK, I'm done :).

lucky #2 said...

OHH! How exciting that you have so much ready for KIWI! And you're on maternity leave! I had to laugh after we had MiniMe because I worried about having everything set up. The reality is that newborns don't need anything but mommy, diapers, milk and a place to sleep!

- We used our pack n play downstairs too! It was nice when she was older to contain her while I run to the restroom (of course, she's screaming to get out!)

-I, like chas, also ended up cosleeping despite all my intentions! We bought a small pac and play for next to the bed, but she just wanted me. I think the cosleeper would have been perfect!

Shop Girl said...

Thanks so much to both of you for your feedback and advice! It makes me feel reassured that all my well laid-out plans have some sanity to them :)

beagle said...

Wow, you're so close now . . . it sounds like you are READY! (As ready as a parent can ever be that is!)