Monday, January 01, 2007

Honey, Can You Get me a Bag?

Three main things have been at the forefront of my pregnancy experience thus far:

1) I'm tired a lot. I've been averaging one nap per day, and it makes me wonder how I'm going to swing that pattern when I go back to work tomorrow. I also get tired quickly, which is nice because I have a reason to baby myself and rest, but can be frustrating when I look around at all the things I want to get done around the house. I did manage to put away all the Christmas decorations today before I went down for a nap, so that's a good thing...

2) My boobs have been killing me. They feel very full and are sooooo tender, to the point where I haven't been sleeping well. Every time I'd turn onto my side, the sheer weight of my arm and/or comforter would wake me with a jolt of pain. I try to explain this phenomenon to DH, but he just kinda looks at me with an uncomprehending yet empathetic stare. My sister had a GREAT suggestion, and I purchased a sports bra on Saturday and have been wearing it (day and night) ever since. So the boob situation is stable for now.

3) Getting a lot of "morning sickness". Most of the time, I do not wake up feeling queasy. It occurs intermittently, and sometimes while I'm a passenger in the car. I often get it after a meal, but it usually passes fairly quickly. I've had a couple times when I was real close to vomiting, including tonight. DH and I were watching a fabulous documentary on migrating birds (it was much more exciting than it probably sounds), and after a bowl of ice cream, I thought for sure I was going to puke. After squirming in discomfort for 10-15 minutes, I asked hubby to go get me a bag. His eyes got big, and he popped up off that sofa so quick, it made me smile...I nibbled on some ginger candy that I bought a few days ago, which finally settled my stomach. So no up-chucking yet!

I go in for my 6-week checkup on Sunday!

Question - I'm hearing conflicting advice on this, and wanted to see if anyone else has some thoughts to add. My SIL said that if you or dad have allergies, that you should avoid eating peanuts and shellfish during pregnancy, because your baby will be more likely to be allergic to these foods. But I remember reading an article once that you should eat peanuts (I guess shellfish is out anyway due to high mercury content) to build the immunity for your baby, and that it would decrease the chances of baby having a peanut allergy. Any thoughts? I'm going to go check with Dr. Google now...

3 comments:

Dramalish said...

You'd have to eat a pretty large amount of shellfish for the mercury to really affect you.

On this subject, I'd have to go with the adage that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. People tend to go overboard on these things.

Eat what you like, and enjoy! The m/s will pass in time. I'm so happy for you, friend.
:)
-D.

beagle said...

I agree, just eat a healthy variety and enjoy when you can (until then, crackers and gingerale?)

Anita said...

I also get a bit queezy after meals and when in the vehicle. I think I'll get me some of that candied ginger you mentioned ... sounds delicious.

I agree with dramalish as well. I have eaten both regular fish as well as shellfish in moderation and none of my doctors are concerned. Enjoy any food you can at this point.