Sunday, November 05, 2006

I Wonder Who Else is IF-Challenged

As hubby and I keep our fingers crossed that this is the cyle we get PG, I've been wondering who else is IF-challenged. We know many couples who have been married for some time and have no children, and always thought it was by choice. And while this may be the case, we now also wonder if they have strugged with infertility like we have been. Oh, how I wish I could take back all those times (pre-IF) that I would ask couples when they would have children - because I know how much it stings when people ask the same of us. Your sensitivity meter sure skyrockets when you're going through IF yourself, doesn't it? But when people throw those questions at me, although it may sting and be painful, I just keep repeating to myself something I heard Oprah say once, "When you know better, you do better..."

You may notice at the bottom of my blog that I have included a link to the RESOLVE web site. I am not currently a member, but am checking out the organization and mulling over whether I want to get more involved with them. In searching through their site, I came across this blurb:

"Infertility affects approximately 10% of the population. Since infertility strikes diverse groups-affecting people from all socioeconomic levels and cutting across all racial, ethnic and religious lines - chances are great that a friend, relative, neighbor or perhaps you are attempting to cope with the medical and emotional aspects of infertility."

This really made me take pause. Amd it made me wonder who else I may know who may be dealing with the same problem as hubby and I.

2 comments:

beagle said...

If and when you do talk about it, you'll find they come out of the woodwork. (But so does the assvice, so beware!)

We know four other couples. Two finally got pg the other two adopted.

I also know a woman who placed a child for adoption. (Shame I wasn't married yet or had any idea what lay ahead for me!)

It's more common than most people realize.

ak1908 said...

Hi,
Thanks for your kind words on my blog. I often wonder the same thing about other people who may be IF. Hubby and I have completed all but three of our adoption certification classes (this is something we wanted to do well before we found out we were IF) and there was another couple, a few years older than us, married for eight years and no children. Hubby and I created this whole scenario around how they were IF.

Anyway, I used to post on Resolve for about three or four years and they used to have some really great message boards. They lost a lot of posters when they changed their format because of a lot of junk posts. You should check out the bulletin boards.